WHERE DO THE IDEAS COME FROM:
Though Covid has slowed down the general pace, it doesn’t mean that one’s ideas have to be sluggish or kicked to the curb. Don’t let Covid make you unimaginative or slow-witted. Maybe, it was time to decelerate a little bit. But, letting your mind reach the bored state, is just boring. Especially when there is an endless tap of ideas in there. You know the fabulous feeling of when ideas first come charging in like fireworks and you have that party in your head. Being creative is a happy dance 🙂
How am I getting through this? (How do you want to get through this?) Personally, I decided that it’s a time for recording, and a time for trying new things. Besides, no idea is a bad idea…at first.
WHERE DOES THE MOTIVATION COME FROM:
Motivation for me, comes from wanting to make a positive change and visualizing that I can be in charge of that. It’s fun to make money after an intense creative project is complete. However, the sense of accomplishment achieved when I raise the bar at a party, help someone celebrate a very special occasion, see my parents glowing in the front row ,or hear a fan singing along, are phenomenally unbeatable. Cash is a bonus.
MAKING MUSIC FEEDS MY SOUL:
So, I have noticed that many of my fellow musicians look tired, feel unmotivated, and have a general sense of ‘blah’. I work everyday at not letting that be me, because I finally have time to DO OTHER THINGS! That being said, I know I am not alone when I say that my soul isn’t being fed its usual dose of travel and making music with my friends; and that means I have to dig into other ‘gigs’ that feed my soul. FIND THEM! Or perhaps for now…feed your soul by feeding the souls of others with love, kindness and compassion. And walk the dog, literally or figuratively.
INCOME STREAMS FOR MUSICIANS DURING COVID:
The Live industry came to a screeching halt in March 2020, definitely marooning most live performers. I’d climb over mountains to play to a sweaty and loud Après-ski crowd right now! Live musicians here in BC are hungry. Indeed, it may feel like you’re walking in cramped ski-boots after a long day on the mountain, with no party pay off. Try a nice big “Sigh”, as my Oma would say, “SIGH! In with the good and out with the bad”.
For Musicians in BC, Canada, the majority of income has been coming from the following:
• SOCAN (songwriters Royalties via airplay, live shows, syndications)
• MROC (mechanical royalties from Records sold/tracks being played that you performed on)
• CREATIVE BC & CANADA COUNCIL FOR THE ARTS (apply for a grant!)
• LIVE STREAMING ticket sales & tips
• EVENT DIRECTORIES & MATCH UPS like Gigsalad, TheBash, Entertainers Worldwide
• STREAMS (like SPOTIFY)
• DOWNLOADS (like iTunes)
• VOICE OVERS (commercials, cartoons)
• Synchronisation Licensing (via: sync songwriter, sentric music, taxi A&R)
• STUDIO SESSION WORK FOR HIRE (ie. If you’re hired to play on a commercial/someones album)
• WEBSITE merchandise sales
• SINGING TELEGRAMS
• RISE UP TV (touring during Covid!) via: Rosner Management
• OUTDOOR CELEBRATIONS (max 80db, 3 m distance for singers, bring a sneeze screen, (it’s kind of sexy?)
• VERY VERY SMALL GATHERINGS
• VIRTUAL PRIVATE FUNCTIONS pre-recorded personalized concert
• SPECIAL OCCASION live-streaming concerts (Best to use Hard-wire or Ethernet cable!)
• CERB/CRB – government Covid subsidy
• SELL GEAR – you haven’t used in years, gives you buyers remorse, & stares at you from a closet (craigslist, facebook marketplace)
• A FALL-BACK “TALENT” I mean skill, that you didn’t think you’d be doing…
IF YOU’RE NOT A MUSICIAN AND YOU’RE READING THIS:
Book outdoor events, buy tickets, do an online event that includes music, grow your music collection! Be a fan!
IF YOU’RE TRYING TO STAY A MUSICIAN AND YOU’RE READING THIS:
Get your sparkly rock star mask on! It can make you feel like something exciting is happening here and very soon! (If you need one, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, we will arrange it). Hand-made by Einai Designs.